Six Female Cabinet Members Named
9th May 2016
The Irish government has finally been formed and the new cabinet minister line-up was announced on Friday.
There are three Independent TDs alongside the Fine Gael TDs. New additions include Regina Doherty and Mary Mitchell O’Connor, who were both previously Fine Gael backbenchers. Katharine Zappone (pictured), who was previously a Senator, was elected as an Independent TD and nominated in An Taoiseach’s new government.
Out of the 16 appointments, there are six women included. They are:
– Katherine Zappone, Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (Independent)
– Regina Doherty, Chief Whip (Fine Gael)
– Mary Mitchell O’Connor, Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (Fine Gael)
– Frances Fitzgerald, now Tánaiste and remains Minister for Justice and Equality (Fine Gael)
– Heather Humphreys, Minister for Regional Development and Rural Affairs (Fine Gael)
– Máire Whelan will be reappointed Attorney General (Labour)