A Beautiful Constraint By Adam Morgan and Mark Barden
24th February 2015
Title: A Beautiful Constraint: How to Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages And Why It’s Everyone’s Business
Synopsis: An inspiring yet practical guide for transforming limitations into opportunities
Authors: Adam Morgan and Mark Barden
Published by: Wiley
Available: In most bookshops in March 2015
This is a book about everyday, practical inventiveness, designed for the constrained times in which we live. Co-authored by Adam Morgan, author of bestselling Eating The Big Fish, the book focuses on the kinds of issues that all of us face today — lack of time, money, resources, attention, know-how — and looks at some of the people, enterprises and companies that have turned apparent limitations into sources of innovation and advantage.
The ideas in the book are based on the authors’ extensive work as business consultants and are brought to life in 35 personal interviews from such varied sources as Nike, IKEA, Unilever, Formula One racecar engineers and barley farmers in South Africa. Underpinned by scientific research into the psychology of breakthrough, the book is a practical handbook full of tools and tips for how to make more from less.
Beautifully designed and accessible, A Beautiful Constraint will appeal beyond its core business audience to anyone who needs to find the opportunity in constraint. The book identifies a replicable five-part methodology for people and teams who want to discover how to make their constraints a source of success. It challenges them to:
– Examine how they’ve become path dependent — stuck with routines that blind them from seeing opportunity along new paths
– Ask propelling questions to help them break free of those paths and put the most pressing and valuable constraints at the heart of their process
– Adopt a ‘Can If’ mentality to answer these questions — focused on “how,” not “if”
– Access the abundance to be found all around to help transform constraints
– Activate the high-octane mix of emotions necessary to fuel the tenacity required for success
This book will be available to purchase in March 2015.